Thursday, June 3, 2010

Having issues making comments on previous post

This is a response to the latest issues raised in my previous post titled "A little bit disheartening" as I am unable to comment for some reason.

@ Incurablesanity

"You are drawing parallels between feminism and Christianity. I'm arguing that it is a faulty parallel."

Ok since we seem to disagree on this point I will move towards a more politically based example. I identify myself as part of left wing politics. One of the views held within the left wing doctrines is that we should overthrow our capitalist government. I am of the belief this is too extreme and won't help anything. So since I am left wing should I be held accountable and expected to defend this point of view that I obviously don't hold myself? I don't think so

"Why do you CONSIDER yourself a feminist? When so many other groups believe in gender equality why do you affiliate yourself with that group?"

What do you see as the alternative labels I could give myself?


"If you want to engage in a logical debate don't just dismiss things because someone misunderstood you."

It is certainly not my intention to dismiss things, sometimes I simply don't know how to respond to a point brought up, due to various factors. As I have stated before I don't like giving definitive answers before I can conduct adequate research into the topic.

@ Fidelbogen

"Oppression" of "women" may or may not exist, depending on how you define oppression and women. (This could be a long essay!)

Please elaborate, it sounds fascinating! (no sarcasm intended)

"Are you familiar with the expression that "men can suffer, but they cannot be oppressed"?"

I was not familiar with that statement but it is interesting, what would you like to talk about in regards to this?

Social contract, hmmm, I know only the basics of this concepts, please point me int he direction of some informative literature so I am better able to respond to this point.

"I would be interested to know on what basis you argue that. In the meantime, can we keep the discussion narrow? This is about men and women, not animals, etc."

I brought up animals only as a side note, in that I don't like to present a bias towards nonhuman animals.

In regards to the moral duty I feel I have it is based on one main thing. My position in life. I was born into advantage, while some people were not. I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and love in my heart. More importantly I have access to educational institutions and resources and political empowerment. I have the equipment necessary to change things for people who aren't necessarily positioned well to change things for themselves. I have encountered some hardship and suffering in my life, but do consider myself very lucky, and attempt not to value my own happiness over that of others. I really do desire happiness for everyone.

"I just wanted to plant that in your head for future reference, because it is an important concept. What the future bodes is not men "hating" women, but simply shrugging their shoulders, dusting their hands off, and turning their backs."

I suppose it is a person's right to choose to be indifferent, I however, believe that indifference is the partner of ignorance, and both working together are the cause of many major issues in society today. As such I will keep my determination, my compassion and my empathy alive. Simply put I will continue to care, even if others don't.

@ Factory

"I think what you're missing here AFOTC, is that your 'role' right now is to actually understand men's issues BEFORE you place women's issues above them."

Where did I say I place women's issues above men's issues?

"This is a mistake many 'earnest Feminists' commonly make, and I hope the next 'wave' of you correct said mistake."

The next wave of feminism appears to be the post feminist. I am quite alarmed.

"It destroys your credibility almost immediately when you display stunning ignorance, and refusal to learn."

I have never denied I am ignorant about certain issues (who isn't? It is impossible to know everything), but as I have stated before and will again I am sure, if you identify ignroances in me please point me in the direction of some information. A major reason in creating this blog is that I want to learn.

"And while I admit you are not the best example of this, er, 'stunned refusal', you are most certainly also neither the first, nor the last."

This seems to contradict itself, please rephrase.

"I will state categorically that you have NO IDEA what the mens movement is about, you just want us to stop and 'think of the wimminz'. It's also probably a bit weird to have man after man look at you and ask "Why the fuck should I? What have women done for me?". And now Feminists are noticing this might affect THEM too, and can't understand the generalized social hostility Feminists have EARNED."

Please rephrase, I don't really understand the point you are trying to make in this paragraph.

"As humbling as it may be, your role, IF you have any at all in these matters, is predicated on you actually knowing what you're talking about."

Everyone has a role in the policy making and legislation of a democratic nation.

Also how do I ever "know what I am talking about" without asking questions?

"So, I ask you...can you name 5 things the Mens Movement is working on, and what your position is on them?"

I am not going to respond to this "test". It is absurd.

I see it as your role in this discussion to enlighten me on the causes of MRA, to show me a perspective that differs from my own, or maybe doesn't who can know until we address the issues?

My role on the otherhand is to respond to these issues from the position of feminism. It is not my duty to know everything straight away.

8 comments:

  1. "Please elaborate, it sounds fascinating! (no sarcasm intended)"

    What, or who, is "women"? What does it mean to say that "women" are "oppressed"? Are women a political class, as per feminism's crypto-marxist underpinnings? Please elaborate, I live to learn. . .

    "I was not familiar with that statement but it is interesting, what would you like to talk about in regards to this?"

    If you are not familiar with it, you ought to be. It is a staple feminist item; I wish I could count how many times I've heard it.

    "In regards to the moral duty I feel I have it is based on one main thing. My position in life. I was born into advantage, while. . etc."

    Your sentiments are edifying.

    "I suppose it is a person's right to choose to be indifferent, I however, believe that indifference is the partner of ignorance, and both working together are the cause of many major issues in society today."

    Your personal feelings about "indifference" are not the matter in question here.

    "Social contract, hmmm,. . . please point me int he direction of some informative literature."

    http://tinyurl.com/2e9o7lb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Factory said: "This is a mistake many 'earnest Feminists' commonly make, and I hope the next 'wave' of you correct said mistake."

    AFOTC replied:"The next wave of feminism appears to be the post feminist. I am quite alarmed."


    Fidelbogen comments: AFOTC, in your reply to Factory (cited above), you are skewing the critical nuance of what he actually said. Go back and study his statement closely with an eye to the exact wording.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what do you think of THIS QUOTE?

    "The fundamental mistake that feminism has made is to equate political weakness with moral innocence."

    I would add, that the fundamental mistake that third wave feminism wilfully makes is in its equation of political dominance with political weakness.

    Don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry factory, but I am no longer accepting comments on my blog that assassinate my character and do nothing for the debate.

    If you want to post the issues in your comment again please feel free to do so, but this time without grade school insults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh, I was afraid of this.
    Not to sound too King about this (Rodney, not Martin), but let's please discuss without diminishing.
    You can make an excellent point without having to attack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Social Worker. I agree. Making offensive statements doesn't make for a positive debating environment.

    ReplyDelete